Aptos is a beautiful town located in California with a population of about 6,300 residents. Not an official city in California, the Aptos area is composed of many small communities in Santa Cruz.
The Aptos community was given its name by American Indians who inhabited the land before it was considered a California community. The meaning of Aptos translates to “the meeting of 2 creeks” in the Ohlone language.
Aptos is home to the world renowned Rio Del Mar Country Club and the S.S. Palo Alto pier area. This unique and exciting attraction was a private source of entertainment throughout the Prohibition. The Aptos community experienced a period of massive commercial and residential development throughout the 1960s. Today, the proximity to the Monterey Bay and the available beachfront property make Aptos an ideal town for many Californian families.
Aptos Community General Information
- Population in 2010: 6,220.
- Males: 3,075 (49.4%)
- Females: 3,145 (50.6%)
- Median resident age: 46.9 years
- California median age: 45.6 years
- Zip codes: 95001, 95003
- Average household income in 2009: $72,511
- Aptos Community: $72,511
- California: $58,931
- Estimated per capita income: $36,753
- Latitude: 36.98 N, Longitude: 121.91 W
- Daytime population change due to commuting: -172 (-1.8%)
- Area code: 831
Aptos Community Housing Information
- Estimated average house or condo value: $627,982
- Aptos: $627,982
- California: $384,200
- All housing units: $755,451
- Detached houses: $890,368
- Townhouses or other attached units: $506,111
- 3-to-4-unit structures: $612,648
- 5-or-more-unit structures: $406,735
- Mobile homes: $171,450
- Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $32,133
- Median gross rent in 2009: $1,375.
Aptos Community Population Information
- High school or higher: 92.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 41.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 16.9%
- Unemployed: 2.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.6 minutes
- Never married: 28.0%
- Now married: 50.1%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 14.9%
- 623 residents are foreign born (2.8% Europe, 1.7% Latin America, 1.2% Asia).
- Aptos: 6.6%
- California: 26.2%
Cities near the Aptos Community
- Rio Del Mar, CA
- Soquel, CA
- Capitola, CA
- Day Valley, CA
- Opal Cliffs, CA
- Live Oak, CA
- Aptos Hills-Larkin Valley, CA
- Twin Lakes, CA
Unemployment in March 2012
- Aptos: 13.7%
- California: 11.5%
Aptos Community in comparison to California state average
- Median house value above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age below state average.
Interested in buying or selling property in Aptos, California? Call Hyko Roppel @ (831) 477-5815 or CLICK HERE to schedule a free consultation on Rio Del Mar, Seacliff Real Estate and Seascape Luxury Homes.